Alliance Abroad celebrates women around the world. As a woman owned business, we believe in the power of women. We lift, advance and support women to break through stereotypes and shatter glass ceilings. We encourage women to embrace and own their power and potential.
We must stand behind one another, lift each other to greater heights and celebrate the achievements of women. Together, we really can change the world.
Looking for ways you can participate? Below are 10 ideas from the official International Women’s Day website. Click here for more information and resources.
International Women’s Day resources
Every person – women, men and non-binary people – can play a part in helping drive better outcomes for women. Through meaningful celebration and targeted bold action, we can all be responsive and responsible leaders in creating a more gender inclusive world. The World Economic Forum predicts the gender gap won’t close entirely until 2186. This is too long to wait. So around the world, International Women’s Day provides an important opportunity for ground breaking action that can truly drive greater change for women.
Use International Women’s Day (IWD) on March 8 as an important opportunity to:
- celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women because visibility and awareness help drive positive change for women
- declare bold actions you’ll take as an individual or organization to help progress the gender agenda because purposeful action can accelerate gender parity across the world
- Run your own #BeBoldForChange IWD campaign
One of the most powerful ways you can influence how quickly gender parity is achieved is through championing a #BeBoldForChange campaign within your own organization:
- CALL FOR ACTION: ask friends and colleagues what bold actions the’re taking to help drive gender parity (e.g. take a junior woman to a client or sales meeting; challenge organizers of all-male speaking panels; launch a purposeful female-focused initiative; educate boys about stereotypes and violence against women; nominate women for senior jobs; donate time to a female-focused charity; mentor a woman; form a support network; etc)
- DECLARE ACTION: ask friends and colleagues to declare bold action on the IWD website
- DOWNLOAD SELFIE CARDS: use the #BeBoldForChange selfie cards for social media amplification
- DOWNLOAD POSTERS: download the #BeBoldForChange posters and ask colleagues to write or add yellow sticky notes for their bold actions
- EMBED WIDGET: embed the #BeBoldForChange widget on your own website or intranet and call for others to declare their bold action
- THUNDERCLAP YOUR SUPPORT: lend your support via the #BeBoldForChange Thunderclap to help drive wider awareness about gender parity
- WATCH IWD VIDEOS: watch these purposeful videos or broadcast them at events to educate and inspire others
See examples of #BeboldForChange campaigns around the world.
- Host a #BeBoldForChange IWD event
Coordinating an IWD event? Invite your speaker/s to articulate and explain that exact moment when they themselves took bold action to help improve or develop an aspect of their own livelihood, career or business – or that of another woman’s, or women’s status overall:
- what was their bold moment?
- how did they do it?
- what motivated them?
- what difference did they make?
- how can others learn from this?
Host a proactive discussion regarding:
- what constitutes “bold” action?
- what conditions are necessary to enable “bold” action?
- what are the consequences of “bold” action?
- what are some examples of “bold” action already taken in your context?
Build a “Bold Actions” wall:
- get colleagues to commit to action
- post their actions on a “Bold Actions” wall
- photograph the “Bold Actions” wall
- share via social media
Ask the audience to declare bold action via their smart phones:
- send your audience to the IWD “Bold Actions” declaration page
- OR use the #BeBoldForChange widget to send the audience to your website’s “Bold Actions” declaration page. Show and share results real-time, if desired.
Watch purposeful IWD videos at your event:
- Social share your support
Social share your bold actions and support by downloading and printing the #BeBoldForChange selfie card. Co-branding is welcome. Promote your support for bold action via social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Youtube, etc) using the “hands in” visual concept.
- Secure executive statements of support
Submit an approved and authorised #BeBoldForChange statement of support from your leaders (celebrities, corporate chairpersons and CEOs, government officials, charity heads, business and community leaders) – for possible promotion and amplification via the IWD website and social media channel. Statements are short declarations regarding bold action to actively support the advancement of women. Statements may be either straight text (with image), visual collateral, short videos, social media posts, etc). The deadline for Support Statements is ongoing, but received earliest any time from now is preferred. Ideally max. 150 – 200 words for text statements. See an example from Richard Branson’s support from last year, or EY global chairman Mark Weinberger’s support or Catalyst’s president & CEO Deborah Gilles’ statement or more here.
- Download the IWD logo
Download the International Women’s Day logo or icon for promoting positive IWD related activity.
- Embed the #BeBoldForChange widget
Embed the #BeBoldForChange widget on your own website and/or intranet by accessing the embed code and calling for your friends and/or colleagues to declare their bold action.
- Watch and show IWD videos
Many individuals, groups, companies and associations provide purposeful videos that push the gender agenda conversation further. View IWD’s excellent range of video resources that are available to support your own IWD activity. You can also contribute an IWD video for potential inclusion on the IWD website.
- Access gender diversity resources from leading organizations
Access useful and informative gender diversity resources provided by leading, reputable organizations from across the world that work to advance women. Use these resources to guide your company’s journey towards gender parity orsubmit resources for consideration.
- Fundraising on IWD
Should you be looking for a registered global charity to donate your International Women’s Day fundraising efforts to locally, then please consider IWD’s long-term Charity of Choice – WAGGGS. WAGGGS has prepared a Fundraising in the Office activity pack for any employees or businesses which would like to hold a special event to mark IWD. It’s full of fun ideas to engage with IWD and raise money for a great cause. Make a single donation to WAGGGS. Set up a fundraiser for WAGGGS at Justgiving or Virgin Giving.
- Submit coverage of your IWD activity
Submit engaging images, videos or articles that show the success of your IWD activity, with a view to possible promotion and amplification via the IWD website – in addition to your own social sharing of these items.